27 February 2007

a decent color has returned to my big fat head since i took all those drugs when i was sickie poo from hell

as far as i can remember, last week was one giant blur of drug-induced hazes. an endless cycle of food, sleep, pills, sweating, and bad television. my heartfelt thanks go out to all of the people who make wonderful cartoons possible (and the sydication that makes them available any time at all), as they helped me through this traumatic time of need.

now that life is virtually back to normal, life seems almost drab. energy levels are still stabilizing so i'm not making any grandiose plans for our evenings just yet. my artistic spark is at a slow burn. the house is a mess, and i don't mean the garden variety haven't finished unpacking kinda mess. doing the dishes was as much cleaning as i could muster last week, and derek was so good at taking care of me that he let most everything else go by the wayside. no biggie. turns out we're not complete slobs after all.

in an effort to get me jumpstarted, derek bought me a whole bundle of new sharpies. TWENTY FOUR COLORS OF SHARPIES with the ultra fine tip! my marker box overfloweth with happiness. as is my usual custom with new supplies, i opened them the second we got home and then did not use them at all.

this is something i used to do with scripts, in a different way. as soon as i picked it up from the theatre, i would tote the new script around everywhere. restaurants, grocery stores, driving around town. sometimes i even stuffed my new book into my purse and brought it into the bathroom with me. i would flip through the pages incessantly. i would place the script on the table next to my dinner plate. i would let the cats sniff the edges until they approved. however, i would never actually do any work with it for the first few days. inspiration came by osmosis as i eventually began to highlight my lines and begin to make notes.

even as a director i could never force myself to work on a script right away. my palms would slide back and forth across the pages as i hummed a little tune. a smile would creep across my lips as my fingertips would scoot and drag it closer to me by an inch or so at a time. in the end, i would finally realize it was mine and end up hugging it to my chest and giggling.

much the same thing is going on with my new sharpies. i ripped open the backing, ran my fingers across the backs of each marker, and gave a tiny squeak of joy. after rearranging each one to look as if the package had never been touched, i propped them up (in the plastic) against my marker case. they stood there for a few hours until i dumped them out across the floor and arranged them all by colors. just for good measure, i splayed them around like pick-up sticks before tucking them into the marker box next to my other assorted, fatter sharpies. i closed the case. i heard a very satisfying click. i knew they were really mine. yay.

it's been two days so far. i'm definitely getting inspired to make some new art; maybe even just to write a multicolored note one of you. i feel the same smile and giggle as i lift the box up and give it a hug. derek laughs because he has seen this sort of habit go on before and thinks it cute. he thinks every doodle i produce is a work of aaahhhhhhhhhrt worthy of an advanced calculus problem. i just like all the pretty colors and the clankety noise they make while rattling around in the box.


my favorite color:
all shades of grey/silver

No comments: