21 April 2006

random side notes - chapter one

so derek says that north hollywood is technically part of the san fernando valley. does this make me a valley girl? like totally, fer shurrr, wow. gag me with a spoon. sorry about that. i just couldn't resist, and you know you couldn't either. i heard you reading that part aloud, you know. we even got a "valley edition" of the los angeles times yesterday. far out, dude.

my skin has almost stopped itching, my eyes are burning less, and my hair is flat flat flat. there is nearly no humidity here to counteract whatever else is floating around in the air. for those of you on bleed watch from the stories you heard me tell about my past experiences in this state, i have yet to get a nosebleed from the smog. whoopee, i think i can go through life now without wondering about when i'll be spontaneously looking like i'm in a brawl. i have noticed a distinct smell that looms around here, but it's hard to tell if it's pollution or just the mishmash of different clubs and restaurants in the areas we go through each day.

people complain about places like oklahoma because they say that everyone there looks the same. this is a subject i've been discussing with jenny and rhiannon over the past few days. the problem with that complaint in my eyes is that everyone here looks pretty much the same to me, too. it's just a different kind of same. perhaps what one might call a different shade of same. rhiannon says there are only about four variations on the same anyway, and from our conversation we've defined them as north/south/east/west. think about it. truly, we're onto something here.

rhiannon hasn't adjusted to our move quite yet, which makes me feel loved. she and ed were going to the brook for cheese fries and nachos this week. they did the same thing i would've done and thought about calling us to join them. ugh, reality sets in during those moments. it's like the day we got here and i was going to call rebecca to come and take away the extra barstools to use in her new place/my old place. well, of course! as if she could just whip across town and get them. i also noticed that when derek was talking to dr. tony about the scooter, he said to "come on over" and take a look at it. (come on over to someone else's garage in tulsa, to be exact) the phrase "down the street" holds a new meaning for me right now. i have no idea what is down the street here, not in that old familiar sense. to me, nothing is down the street anymore except i don't know what just yet. oh wait, i did manage to find some hash browns in a ten minute radius.

the highlight of the week was staying in bed all morning today. not out of depression, but out of the need for recovery. we were unloading the last of the storage stuff yesterday and i completely blew out my knee on a metal pin that thought it was a can opener for my patella. then i hobbled myself further with a poke to the ankle by that same piece if furniture. fucking desk from hell. we'd better sell it fast or i'm burning it. i will know vengeance for once!

monday will begin the humiliation of job hunting. derek doesn't care if i wait a while longer, but i'm afraid of getting bored and going on a spree at target. besides, it always takes some time to find what you're looking for in a job. let's all cross fingers and hope i don't tell anyone to fuck off at my interviews. don't put it past me. i have such a sparing amount of patience for those remedial questions. where do i see myself in five years? breathing in and out, eating F-U-D, emptying the litterbox. is that specific enough for you?!? i love having a job - it's the looking for that irritates me. grrr.

shit, i really like to complain, don't i?

1 comment:

Bonnie Rae said...

A delight to hear from you, George * I just left Southern Cal, and for the first time ever ( as we flew in, and again away ...) I SAW the layer of smog. It truly is amazing. Enjoy it all ! LA is lucky to have you !