25 March 2010

kawaii i heart cuteness

derek is so terribly cute when he's watching top gear. sometimes i think his little giggles will end with food shooting out of his nose. every few minutes i hear the tivo give off a beep because derek has laughed so hard at something that he feels the need to skip back five seconds and see it again, only to begin laughing harder. see, derek isn't really a laugh out loud kind of guy, so watching him watch top gear is one of my joys in life. i especially get a kick out of those moments when he has to pause the show and squawk out, "you GOTTA see this part!" on those occasions when i'm doing other things at the same time, like right now. i'll watch it later on and i can just about guarantee that he'll be sucked into seeing the same episode twice... with approximately the same amount of laughter, if not more.

this is the sort of cute happening i live for, the sort that keeps my day going. when i get a text from vee that her snowman has been violated, i show it off to everyone. when rhiannon sends me an email that snorting while laughing is hereditary, i laugh until i snort. (i've already got theories that it's actually contagious in my urban tribe.) when dizzy rolls around on her back, belly fuzz all flopping about, i can't help but curl up to watch the show.

cuteness to the point of ick makes me want to barf on myself. we'll just leave the precious moments to someone else so that i can have the rather ridiculously absurd moments i completely adore. that's my hyper-version of kawaii. while the plague of cute internet animals does make me squee like a slide whistle, it's nothing compared to having the accompanying bit of true comedy in my midst. regular cute fuzzy kitty? small squee. cute fuzzy kitty riding in a plastic custom made elevator? EEEEE!!!

derek just giggled again. i glance over my shoulder at him and see his toes wiggle as he rolls around on the sofa. that sort of giggle that makes me look at him and smile. his respose to me? "whuuuuut?!? it's funny!" i love top gear.


songs i keep hearing in my head:
cruel to be kind - nick lowe
must i paint you a picture - billy bragg
change the world - nellie mckay
downtown - petula clark
i touch roses - book of love

2 comments:

lizgwiz said...

I have never watched Top Gear. What exactly makes it LOL funny?

Unknown said...

it's like this - imagine if your best friend (and i remember meeting him) had a car show with two other dorks and they were snarking each other all the time... not to mention the "experiments" they conduct. oh yes, things have a way of going terribly wrong in the best way.