06 March 2010

clickipedia

did you know that you can find instructions on how to play "butts up" in wikipedia? truly, we are an information overload society! you can also figure out how to play one of my all-time favorite card games, bullshit. some days i really heart the internet.

the urge to click is one i find hard to resist. wanna learn how to wash a cat? wikihow has at least three different pages about the topic. see that link on the bottom of the page about hoarders? go on, you know you wanna be whisked off to yet another page about squalor and messiness. how awesome i find the wealth of complete crap and pop culture that beckons my irresistible click through habit. to make things even worse, mr. derek "did you know?" boyfriend regularly sends me messages with stooopid links to things like daily squee. SQUEEEEEE!!!! i mean, he's as addicted to cute internet animals as anyone else.

uhhhh, this doesn't mean i'm ready to be bombarded with more links from people. i get quite enough of those, thank you very much. just thought i might do a preemptive strike on that one before my mailbox gets filled with even more links. oh, and by the way, please clean up your forwards as a courtesy to the rest of us, okay? i don't need to see the email addresses of your hundred closest internet pals before ever getting to that photo of a dachshund dressed as a hot dog in a bun.

in reality, my click-o-rama habit comes about due to the fact that i'm the worst googler in the world. i swear, i could google the word google and go to the wrong site. when i need net research done, i should just send mary and derek on the hunt. otherwise, i have forty billion windows open at once and spend two days without sleep just reading trying to find what i'm looking for on any given subject. those two, to the contrary, can magically enter any word in the english language and have the perfect results come back in less than a second. my specialty is the element of serendipity on the web. did i look for results about cognitive behavioural therapy? well, i found a link to the latest production of grey gardens, the musical! the next thing i know, i'm sending off an email to an agent about an unpublished play because i saw an interview on youtube talking about the suppression of freedoms by the power elite of a society. how do i do it, you ask? it's a bumpy ride to go googling with me.

someone, please... tell me i'm not the only one like this.

the term "search engine" seems wildly appropriate to me. it might be even more fitting if it were called a runaway train search when someone like me goes to hit enter and sees all the wondrous results. click - how to make wasabi! click - the butterfly effect! click - laws about gay marriage! oh sure, i can find it all on the web, just without ever trying to get to that page on purpose. it's fascinating, reall, how one person can learn about robots as modern golems by accident. i'm like the internet trivia roulette master. who needs random searches when you have me around the house? is there something you never knew you needed to know anything about in this life? no problem, i can find that for you. just don't ask me to find a simple recipe for what to do with leftover chicken. that's a hopeless cause.


art doings:
bought some cheap dollar frames for old pieces.
jenny, holly and i met with an artist to hang a show.
i'm working on some new marker sketches.

3 comments:

The Forgotten Wonder Triplet said...

you are not the only one without proper google-fu. Sometimes, I think the interwebs is TOO FULL of EVERYTHING.

Unknown said...

thank you tanya for making me feel more competent! i thought i was the only one who found navigating google akin to swimming in a raging river.

Vectrexer said...

While the Google Fu is good, I find myself getting all googled eyed over the related links. Did I really need to know about beneficial nematodes on the way to to documentation about a Netgear NAS box? I guess my flea problem is solved now for all the distraction that detour had gotten me. At least when the nematodes arerive it will be.

And don't take me driving in a new area either. We'll end up three towns over. The ride will be interesting but you cannot get a refund on the day you were supposed to have spent going to meet your friends. (GPS? Wat's that? ;-) ) I send to find cool little place to eat though.