12 November 2008

things not to do when you're blue

derek is out of town again. normally i take this as a time to be alone and commune with me me me, doing all those little things you do when you have the house to yourself. i like to wander around in my pajamas and just piddle with my stuff. then i miss him and count the days until i get to go pick him up at the airport.

for some reason, after he left on sunday i was blechy. hanging out with nick was helpful, and we even went to target for random goofing off and silicone cupcake pan getting. i was fine until i got home. even the cats didn't make me feel less lonely. (oh, i'm fine now... don't worry. probably just a momentary lapse.) in an attempt to make myself feel more cheery, i inadvertently made it worse. so, as a service to you, here is my list of at least a few things to avoid when you're feeling inexplicably mooooooody:

  1. listening to aimee mann - a terrific songwriter who, when you're down, will lead you to...
  2. eating the contents of your refrigerator - i left the condiments. luckily, i don't keep much food around the house, but i did bust into the peanut butter for some added protein.
  3. watching sunset boulevard on the classic movies station as the sun goes down and you haven't turned on any lamps yet - does this really need any explaining?
  4. calling someone to go out whom you know is only going to want to stay home - normally this doesn't bother me, but i was in an "artistic moment" at the time
  5. searching for lost objects - it only makes you feel like a failure that you can't find that one thing which popped into your head for no reason. plus, it makes you end up...
  6. looking through your photos - you only miss people more
  7. realizing that holidays are coming - ugh. just fucking ugh.
  8. cleaning - anything at all, really. you would think it would make you feel better for a job well done and all, but you discover what a pig you truly are. just take out the trash instead and call it a day.
to review, just blob out and feel sorry for yourself. get one tiny thing done so you can feel productive. this should be a thing like flossing or changing into fuzzy socks that don't smell funny. maybe it could even include making a long distance call to mary and whining, because she's not going to judge you for it. otherwise you are totally allowed to wallow for a few hours and get it out of your system. trying to fix it can only make things worse until you get a good night of sleep and take the scarlett o'hara "tomorrow is another day" approach to things.


plans for tonight:
going to see forces of nature (another contemporary dance thingy) with megan

4 comments:

lizgwiz said...

Sometimes you just gotta revel in the misery. You know, 'til you get good and sick of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE Aimee Mann !

georgeious said...

liz, i did. i sat there in the dark and ate peanut butter right from the jar. yum.

bonnie, i adore aimee too! more artists to steer clear of when depressed? well, i have a whole list, made from experience. i should make you a cd. :)

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE that ! And then, I'd like one for when I'm going through boxes of old crap I've been dragging around with me for years. That's what I'm doing today ! Oy. Why I ever thought I needed so many trinkets from the past I'll never know ...