03 August 2006

week one drones on

i'm still employed. i've been employed all week, with no signs of being fired readily available to me. i could be wrong on this one, of course, as it's become apparent to me that being a trusting person out here is somewhat of a personal downfall. however, i am not one of them and thus choose to maintain my optimistic outlook. perhaps it will take me a whole month (or even two ro three!) to leave this job.

one of the reasons that i'm so constantly disappointed is i truly am an optimist. this might come as a mild shock to those of you who know my surly and gruff demeanor. it's a ruse, i tell you; i'm just as hopeful as the next person that things will all work out and everything happens for a reason. schmaltzy as it sounds, i tend to look forward to what the future might bring. after all, there's no telling what kind of new disaster in store for me each day, right?

which leads me to my tendency to not leave the house as of late. cabin fever be damned! i could stay holed up for days before i felt the need to interact. the main reason i've developed for going out is to get more groceries to drag home with me and make interesting kitchen experiments with while i think to myself about how i really should get out more and make a go of it while i'm here and so i'll try to explore things more tomorrow because it's not fair that decent people like me should be bullied into hiding out in the house all the time just because those other types annoy us into it and i swear i'll go out some more soon... and go to work.

this is why it's good for me to avoid getting fired for the time being. without somewhere to go on those certain days of the week i would just hang out here with my belly button and my sock collection, mooning over when i used to have a life. being employed means never having to say hello to the lint rolling around in your house. it means having a reason to put on those really hip socks and show them off. having a job is reason enough to infect the rest of the world with my questionable frantic and cynical joie de vivre.

fuck. i'm glad i have the day off today.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I suspect that you're staying inside more because of your Antipodean nature. For you, the summer is the time when you stay inside & protect yourself from the elements. And the winter is when you go out & enjoy the natural atmosphere. So ya see? You're fine :)