22 September 2009

turbo-nerd strikes again

okay, so i admit that homework sucks. studying isn't my favorite thing either. the college thing doesn't really seem to be my scene at all. the main motivation i'm getting to stay is from other people's excitement that i'm trying to finish. my heart isn't in it, but if they can be happy for me, i can keep on plugging away at this goofiness.

apparently, one of my professors is rewarding me for my patience. not only does he not a final scheduled as of yet, he also has no big fat "grade by weight" paper due anytime. i get to write short papers for him each week, which is fine by me. contrary to derek's belief when he has to listen to me babbling, i can say a lot with only a thousand words. in another stunning bit of joy, we're having a geography test today! if you know me, you know i have a slight obsession with maps.

give me an atlas and i can be completely quiet for an entire hour, lost in those pages. (derek, don't get any ideas!) taking a geography test sounds like torture to some people, but for me it's like putting a puzzle together. looking at maps is like travel in itself for me. i stare at the pink and green and whatever color blobs laid out in ever-changing shapes and whisk myself away all over the world. oh, and don't even get me started on historical maps. watching history come alive as the borders shift and empires disappear? this must be what mary feels like when she reads a jane austen novel. it creates an uncontrollable sigh of awe. i pore my fingers over the pages in an attempt to discover their secrets. what happened there? which people woke up in a new country without even knowing it? what if those mountains didn't exist?

it's unabashed nerdiness, and i love it. looking at books filled with wondrous maps was what got me interested in social studies so long ago. they provided just the tool that was needed to escape my own world and see something bigger. so yes, this test seems like something of an academic gift to me. better ace it, huh?


happy happy joy joy:
it's jacket weather! i can finally breathe again!

4 comments:

lizgwiz said...

I love globes. Better than maps 'cause they're three-dimensional!

Vectrexer said...

Soon, your glorious snake gets to leave the dark cave it's been hiding in and wrap itself around your neck in its bid to trip you up. All while looking stylish,,, in a nerdy, funky, softy sort of way. Can you stand the wait?

Unknown said...

chris, did you know that my dr. who scarf has its own special storage box for the summer? i was rearranging the closet over the weekend and moved it closer to the front in preparation of a someday soon....

Vectrexer said...

I didn't know that! Had you been out here in Pacifica over the summer you would have required a scarf on many days to keep from freezing your arse, and neck. But your Who-ness might have been in danger of having to share the scarf.

Where the hell did my summer go to this year anyway!?! Oh that's right I got my day of sun today while manning the roasted corn booth at the Fog Fest.

(It was a school thing for Alexa's school to raise money. (ever so more important now the state has screwed over our schools more) but I digress)

Yes the Fog fest was nice. The corn was super good!!! You don't know the torture I am placed under while inhaling the aroma of fresh roasted sweet corn knowing I can't really eat any of that delicious golden stuff s till the end of the shift. When that end comes my teeth get planted on those ears of corn and I am soon buzzing all over it looking like the carriage of an old typewriter flying back and forth. You'd think someone had starved me.