29 April 2008

in response to liz getting her license renewed

thank goodness i read liz's blog. not only is she an astute and hilarious lady, she also reminded me that my tags were due this week. in all of our moving around the nation, i've never gotten my car tags changed. the biggest reason for this is that i'm a cheap bastard who'd much rather just mail it in and save the expense of converting and/or having to add on a tag to the front end of the car. it also gives me a good excuse to visit. flying here is obviously is more costly than mailing it in, but alleviates the guilt of spending money on travel, since i've got "business to take care of" in that instance.

the other thing i've been meaning to do for some time is change my drivers' license again. honestly, i never would've changed it in the first place if it hadn't been expiring at the time i was deciding whether or not to get one in los crapeles. silly me - i coulda mailed in a renewal and just paid a smaller fee, even with that address. going to the motor vehicles place is just too much bother.

why is it that i have to wait 45 minutes to talk to someone for 5 minutes? why is it that i have to drive to the middle of nowhere to spend my day staring at weirdos? does anyone that looks normal go to get their license besides me and liz and derek? i'm just glad he was there to entertain me. when we read the sign of "valid secondary identfication" and saw options such as fishing license, property deed, and digital likeness from previous picture on file (or something like that) on the list, we knew we were trapped in the twilight zone. and yes, liz, we did bring our NOT expired passports to prove that we were citizens de republico of los redneckies.

i am into giving credit where credit is due. in spite of the boring wait, the counter people were quite nice to me. my little dude even complimented my hair; he then asked if i ever go to the theatre. HA! i got to tell him that i'm a director and i do go to see live theatre often. turns out he knew some random art geeks and had even seen some of the shows i did last time we lived here. insert twilight zone music here, huh? we did our fingerprints, took a photo and got the right paperwork to head off to the tag agency and wait some more.

but wait! i suppose we paid our dues at the first place. the tag agency downtown is a hidden gem of a place to go take another photo, do your fingerprints over again and get back out into the world in fifteen minutes or less. they can do math and everything! the ladies there even let me take a photo where i look like a complete jackass. no, i MEANT to do it this time. it's a super-cool sort of jackass photo, not the "whaaaa....huh?" look going on that gives me that gang member ambience. in this one i have the smile like a 5 year old who just got a pair of cutesy new shoelaces for my favorite sneakers. you know, all teeth and looking overly surprised in the dumbest possible way... digital perfection! me soooooo happy now. yay me.


what i'm doing tonight:
besides wasting time with sleep-deprived babble that probably includes typos i couldn't even dream of correcting, i'm recovering from a crappy rehearsal and packing for our trip to vegas in the morning.

4 comments:

lizgwiz said...

It is crazy, what they require of you to drive legally around here, isn't it? (My tag agency lady let me proof my photo, too. I hated it, but I couldn't summon up the energy to try harder, so I just said it was fine. Now I wish I'd gone all manic for it.)

Vectrexer said...

You never call before the trip.

Mary said...

I wish they'd let me proof the photo for my drivers license here. Damn you, NC!

georgeious said...

of course i go for the worst photo i can possibly get. there's less to explain after that, and when people check your ID they find it quite funny.