20 April 2008

are we in the tardis or what?

while my brother chris was here a few weeks ago we started talking about death. then we talked about what we'd like to have to remember someone by when they're gone. the next thing i know we're going on and on about stripey scarves. this is my family. this is what we do. one minute we're talking about world politics or other serious stuff, the next minute we're talking about my hair matches my clothes and why chris is a big dork. there is only so long that i can stand to converse like a grownup before my head explodes. if we don't lighten things up with an inappropriate argument over nothing and some personal slams, how do we all really feel the love?

anyway, somewhere in all this fashion and existentialism, i mentioned how much i missed seeing richard's great big dr. who scarf. see, richard was a bit of an anglophile. when i say "a bit" it of course means that i am understating the case, much like world war two was a bit of a scuffle. his favorite place to go out was the white lion pub. he had a keen eye for english antiques and doodads. he kept stockpiles of old bbc television shows in his media collection. he fancied himself to have a cunning english accent and a command of random cultural trivia.

finally, he owned a totally fabulous, extra long and stripey dr. who scarf! the thing was legendary, man. i admit it made me completely envious ever time he wore the damn thing. after he died, i used to picture him running around in the winter, popping into the theatre with that gigantic scarf and laughing his gigantic laugh. it suited him quite well and is a very concrete memory i like to associate with him often.

having my own penchant for long and colorful scarves, as well as being subjected to countless hours of dr. who while growing up, i spoke highly of richard's fashion sense with accessories. it was at this point that chris must have made a mental note. now, i remember him saying that he knew where to find such a scarf, but i never believed he would actually make an effort to run off and get one.

and then send it to me! excuse my squealing, but i am so totally a TIME LORD! a package full of dr. who goodness arrived this weekend and the thing is fifteen fucking feet long. that's about three times as long as me! talk about feeling like you're wrapped up in a hamster... well, this is like... like, the coolest thing ever. i spent a while just prancing around the house in my underpants and my new scarf singing the theme from the show. who cares if it's spring and i won't really get to wear it for several months? i wanted to run up and down the hall whooping while the fringe flapped against my arms, but my dignity (for once) thought better of such a display. some things are best left for later.

wow. i have to say that this is probably the most thoughtful gift my brother has ever sent to me. no no, i'm not crying. shut UP, i am not even getting choked up. and i didn't when it got here, either. i'm just happy is all. not only do i get to indulge in "hey look at me" side with a crazy fashion statement, but i smile just looking at it. i've already been wandering past the immense pile of scarf in my bedroom and petting it in anticipation of a chilly day. hey there, chris. hi there, richard. ho there, dr. who.


an odd thing i like:
my building has a thirteenth floor - numbered 13.

4 comments:

lizgwiz said...

Well, if anyone (else) can pull off a 15' stripey scarf, it is YOU.

Mary said...

What a strange coincidence. Just last night I was telling Tim that we should get him one of those scarves so that he can dress up as the Tom Baker version of The Doctor for Halloween.

In sadder news, I can't believe Richard has been gone for 3 years. :(

georgeious said...

yes, (else) is correct in this case. if tim is a good chicken, i MAY let him borrow it for the cause.

Vectrexer said...

"pile of scarf" is fairly unique. add "immense" to it and maybe you should copyright the phrase.