28 May 2007

compassion is soooooo unfair

how can i spend my time hating everyone when people are suddenly doing things that are kinda... well, a little bit, sort of... nice? what a fucking bitch that is for someone like me who has almost totally lost faith in other people. how the hell does one deal with the rekindling of common decency?!?

good things that have happened this week:
1. veronica bought plane tickets - she and her maaaaan are coming to see us (very soon) out here at the end of the world!
2. bacon sent me a postcard - this is a really big deal because, not only is she deathly afraid of the post office, but the postie was from overseas. wow. she went to a FOREIGN post office for us.
3. a "real change hobo" (the homeless people that sell the newspapers so they're actually doing some work and not just shaking cups at people) helped me carry groceries to the car. yes, of course i bought a paper and gave her a tip. she was working. on top of that, she honestly looked surprised and explained that no she had not helped me just so i would do that. how could i even begin to resist, though?
4. got a package from julie with a 25th anniversary heller shirt. just when i thought i had become but a mere memory in the arts, i feel like i still exist. yay.
5. one of derek's home-school friends, dorothy, went to brunch with us today. she was so overwhelmed by some good advice that she decided to buy all of our meals.
6. i'm getting a three day weekend. no, seriously. three whole days in a row that i don't have to go to work or deal with anybody's crap or be nice just to get paid. it's hard to remember the last time i had a job that gave me three whole days off in a row without begging for it. AND i'm even getting paid for not working on memorial day! this may sound dumb to some people, but it's a total first for me.
7. alice offered to give us exactly the new bed frame that we had considered buying a few months ago. for free!
8. linda let me cook her dinner and she ate all of it. not just to be polite. she liked it. it was edible, even if i hadn't given her wine. really. i even flipped stuff around in the pan without any major injuries.
9. mary just listened to me whine for, like, oh, an hour.

it's amazing how a person can get so used to people being abusive, negligent, entitled, oblivious, or just plain rude. the even more amazing part is how shocking a week filled with simple compassion can bring you to your knees. i must admit, the chain of events going on this week has certainly made it easier for me to be more... positive is defitinitely not the right word here. i am, after all, me. grumbling is a sport in my world. perhaps hopeful? ewwww. that's still kind of a lie, too. maybe it's just sort of easier to see possibilities. i like possibilities.

that's probably why i try foods that i know i don't like. if you'd asked me about sushi a few short years ago, you'd have seen a skrinkled up face and hear someone saying "no no no!!!" these days i get cravings for it. even derek has conquered his fears of both spinach and tomatoes, if only on a limited basis. hey, he's willing - i can't fault him for still being picky at this point. maybe i'll eat chocolate with joy someday. there is always a possibility.

but i still don't think i'm going to stop my grumbling and disgruntledness. what would i do for my cardio if i weren't constantly bitching?


media consumptions of the week:
movie - keeping up with the steins
book - weird ideas that work
music - pink martini
web - craigslist overload, idiotgirls.com
magazines - f1 racing, ok!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

horray for george for listening to pink martini - I love pink martini. Even though I haven't been to the post office in eons - we are still planning a trip to the northwest this fall - after wes gets a few paychecks and some vacation time.

sounds like you've had a good week. mine's been good too - hubby graduated and we've managed some social time with some of our peeps this weekend.

lizgwiz said...

Poor George! Forced to live in a world where people are sometimes nice. I'm going to start calling you Pollyanna. Hee.

georgeious said...

liz, i only say this because you know how i feel about you. PISS ON YOU.

speaking of which... gen, did you know that you're one of my peeps from the px original order of PISSers? (that could totally amount to our title being shortened in to O.O.O.P.s if you think about it hard enough.) think we should let liz in on this or what? and mary too! you know mary already! she's the one who let me in on pink martini, so i think we should make her a pisser while we're at it.

and sheesh, i need to get off my but and get out the stamps over here, too.

Mary said...

I'm part of what made you happy! Yay! That makes ME happy! So now we have a great big, circular happy thing happening. Isn;t that nice? I think that's nice.

Glad to know you're enjoying the Pink Martini! Whenever I listen to "Hold On, Little Tomato" I think of you. :)

georgeious said...

yes, i do still get choked up listening to the little tomato song; just like the first time in your car. did you people ever imagine me to get teary-eyed this much?