16 January 2010

saturday mornings in my house

somehow we've gotten in the habit of lazing around the place for a few hours while listening to some favorite shows on the local npr station. right now it's car talk. i'm in my pj's drinking coffee (of course) and giggling to "stump the chumps" while i review my resolutions. besides doing my once a week things, which are going okay so far, i was also thinking about some of my daily habits.

some years back, i was in a show where i performed a monologue called thirty hours. the gist of the thing was that we all only have about thirty hours of conversation within us over the course of a lifetime. it seemed a simpleton idea at first, but the more i thought about it, the more i realized how many recycled conversations i had had in my life. since then i've decided that it's a good idea to have a story to tell every day.

i try to do a few nice things every day. in my view, that leaves the rest of the day to be a bitch... and it should be obvious by now that i love to be a bitch. it used to only be one nice thing per day, but that didn't quite merit my style of complaining, so i had to up the ante in order to feel like i was justified in my behavior.

if the only things i get done in a day are washing my face and taking out the trash, that's okay. so long as i get something done very day i'm happy. being the sort of person who can wallow in her own depression, i've found that the only way to get out of it is to set really small to-do lists that actually involve crossing things off, even if i never bother to get dressed. believe me, some days it's a triumph just to make coffee or clean out the litterbox. i've at least gotten that far today, so maybe i should celebrate.

bonnie sent me a doodle book to help with my drawing ambitions. eee! she's like a crazy psychic these days, i swear. it's a book i've considered buying before just for fun. pffft, and they say it's difficult to find a good gift for me. i've been trying to keep up with the paltry bits of resolution i've set for myself. funny how when your idea is to be more creative and expressive it gets to be more intimidating at first. i have sent out more mail over the past few weeks, so don't think i'm not writing just because the blog comes and goes. now that school has started again i have a reason to study something besides handy household tips about deodorizing and rearranging our stuff. i'm not sure how proficient i'll be at learning about the basis of modern political ideas after that, but let's hope i can absorb just enough to graduate in a few months. or we can hope i get some more clients to organize and have money sticking out of my ears. either solution would work for me.

now they're talking about drunk hamsters on wait wait. how am i supposed to concentrate on anything but coffee when they're joking about hamster hangovers? does this count as my weekly studying?


my busy week:
teaching by day, directing by night, napping between

No comments: