10 January 2009

my love affair with chickens

on a triumphant note, i made chicken and rice for dinner tonight... all by myself. derek is still alive and i haven't thrown up as of yet. this is a vastly huge hurdle for me to overcome. my mad skills in the kitchen seem to be expanding past that old arch nemesis being the poultry group. as of this moment, i am invincible.

andy sent me a package last week. not only was it a shock to receive postal goodies from him, but it had a very special surprise enclosed - chicken earrings! EEE! love you too, sweetie. promise me i'm still your favorite chicken farmer, okey dokey?

for those of you that don't know, the chicken thing goes way back with me. i love that such a funny quirk would inspire andy. and no, it isn't just the chicken ninja noises i make on my medication or the joke about how much chickens love bach. (yes, me and veronica still love this one!) chickens signify a strange turning point in my life... does that sound odd?

it all started when i began teaching and directing. i would round everyone up at the end of the evening for notes or whatever with a "hey peeps" and bawk bawk bawk on to them. it got to be a habit that evolved into a tradition with me. things just went on from there.

see, these are my people. thus, they are my peeps. and thus even more so, they are my chickens. once you've been in one of my shows or classes, i think of you (lovingly, even if we bickered at the time) as my little chicken forever. moreover, you are in george's army of chickens. so far i've been lucky enough to have a wide variety of people pass through my life in this manner, and some of them more than once. i've even passed out a few ceremonial tiny rubber chickens that i hear serve as good luck charms in a pinch. nice to know that i've rubbed off on some people - err, i mean, chickens.

as george carlin used to say, chickens are good people.


things on youtube that make me laugh:
rat loves cat (from derek)
i wanna be like osama (nick and i are offensive people)
engineer's guide to cats (thanks to mary)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the chicken fetish fascinating and the engineer's guide to cats hysterical ;) I wish you could have met KittyBoi when you were in Seattle ... maybe next trip !

georgeious said...

i will definitely be loving all over your cat when i come to visit again. we'll have NW-catfest.