11 September 2008

so kiss me and smile for me...

perhaps inappropriate, as i already got back home over the weekend, but that damn song has been stuck in my head ever since. the random humming is driving me crazy. i should probably be grateful. brandon started talking about celine dion and titanic when we rode the ferry to bainbridge island last week, thereby infecting my internal radio station with a virus that has since been cleared. thank goodness.

holly asked me if i was bummed about being back here. i thought about it and promptly got confused by the question. why would i hate coming home? it's true that i had a great time in seattle. it's true that i enjoyed myself much more this time and tried to focus on the positive parts about living there. however, it is also true that i like where i live. it might not be that glamorous to some people, but i'm happy with my choices. you never know when our wanderlust will kick up dust and lead us elsewhere. in the meantime, i'd much rather embrace this place and reap my resources than sit here and bitch about what's missing. even in los crapeles - which was designed for "great place to visit but i wouldn't want to live there" living - i managed to find some redeeming qualities in the city. i'm not "stuck" anywhere.

but that's enough of being positive for one day. we now return you to our regularly scheduled snark and cynicism:
i realized that i hadn't been ambushed for spare change since leaving seattle. this is even in the face of visiting other cities like detroit, dallas, st. louis, and las vegas. i cursed myself! over the weekend i got asked for change while i was leaving quiktrip. i blurted out a VERY loud ""NO THANK YOU!" with a smile (before he could even get past the opening "excuse me ma'am" part of things) and went on my way. the guy was so freaked out by my odd response that he shuddered and took off down the road. thanks go to mary. that's a great trick.

okay, so i really DID have a great time in seattle. who cares that the entire downtown area smells like pee? i strapped on my best dalai lama attitude and went for it. and i ate in chinatown bakeries... a lot. if i had a hombow and sesame ball cart near my house here, i would tear the kitchen out of my house. in fact, i should just tear my kitchen out anyway. my excursion into throwing things down the disposal gave me a free lifetime pass out of cooking. (don't ask - just know that rice keeps on expanding long after you see it go away) so if anyone wants to start an asian bakery on my block, be aware that i could probably support your lifestyle all by myself.

speaking of which, the wedding of travis and veronica draws ever closer! not only do i get a super cool-calm-and-collected new family member in travis, but i have a reason to go visit the bakeries in dallas right down the street from their house. jeez, i gotta get on those registries and find some gifty things. is it considered tacky to use a coupon on a gift? if only i could find something from their registries that was on clearance with a big orange sticker; how that would make vee smile with delight! derek is afraid that the wedding weekend is going to turn into girlparty2008 part deux. i'll just send him off with andy and ed to go talk about computer cables and cellphone plans or some shit like that.

the northwest px-fest was a bust. sort of. due to scheduling difficulties, we'll have to try again at some future date when we plan our shit out better. dem's da breaks, ya know? so bonnie and i got together and went to the evergreen state fair in bumfuck, washington. there were buzzcuts galore and she had her first ever fried twinkie. we rode a parking shuttle fashioned from a tractor and some benches, pitched softballs to fight against drunk driving, and stared at prize-winning pigeons. sound like fun or what? duh. yesssireeee!

AND i called a stranger on the phone. this is a really big deal for me. i have a major fear of calling people i don't know. often times i am the sort who'll practice the call for several minutes - okay, so it's more like a few hours or days most of the time - before actually hitting send on my cell. even though i've exchanged many mail items with this lady over the past few years, it was shocking to hear her voice. funny how talking to strangers in real life doesn't fuck with me at all, but add in electronics and i'm a basket case. luckily, she sounded just as stunned that i had called her. next time, ginger, next time...

mostly my brain is in whapwhapwhap mode since i got home. you know, that noise a flat tire makes when you're rolling down the road and it sounds like you're going really super fast in spite of the fact that you were forced to slow down. that's the noise i hear at night when i lay down and my brain won't shut off for the day and my mouth keeps on running like a freight train about random crap even though derek justs wants to go to sleep. he's very good at pretending to listen. i love him for that. he doesn't even seem to mind too much that the whapping goes on for most of the day as well. sometimes i hear a little voice in the background telling me to shut up. it often gets drowned out by my "creative tendencies" that inspire me to keep on rambling.

my creative side had a rest on holiday. it got to go in stealth mode while i penned postcards and wrote in my journal. i got to watch others and appreciate their artistic qualities at galleries and theatres and street corners. (yes, they do have more than just hobos out on the street in seattle.) amongst my favorites were a girl playing violin out in front of a bookstore while i shopped for more postcards one day and the ten minute play festival i went to with amy after we got back from strolling around olympia. i also got to meet an artist i like, whose stuff has been migrating to my house piece by piece, and pour praise all over him even after he had already let me use the bathroom. i think that taking a break was a good idea. my brain is more energized and i'm ready to start working on the next show. whapwhapwhap.


one thing i love about being home:
watching dizzy prance around with her new haircut!

2 comments:

lizgwiz said...

We must plan an India Palace trip soon. It's not a sesame ball cart, but does the ball cart (heh--I said ball cart) have a cavalcade of sharply dressed men filling your glass every time it dips below the rim? I think not. ;)

georgeious said...

hehehe, ball cart!

indian sounds good. we should branch out to one of the other places and pass judgment (like we are so good at doing). and you know, i don't think i've ever been to your vietnamese place with you, so we can do either. i promise NOT to order sweet and sour anything.