08 August 2007

random side notes - chapter fourteen

my computer has been acting weird lately. maybe it's just old and slow. after what happened to my ibook not so long ago, let's hope i'm not going to kill two computers in one year. my track record with technology is not that great. could i be subconsciously wounding computers because i'm a technophobe?

it's time to go to the office supply store (for the first time in a long while) and restock on some essential items. yay. happy happy place!

i am no longer allowed to watch the news. today? armed bank robbery around the corner. funny how i didn't even hear about it until tonight. watching television news is an oddity for me anyway. i gave it up after the great CNN binge of 9/11 and all the sensory overload that provided. news on tv is just too much for me. from now on i'll go back to my old ways and stick to print/web or radio news.

this evening i had a feng shui attack and started going through our stuff. derek needs to just go with it when i'm in the mood to streamline. just because i start randomly yelling about what i'm doing ("WHY do we have three tape measures?!?") doesn't mean i'm yelling at him. i just like to express myself. really. stimpy, don't take it personally. i'm only venting about tools and stuff so that i won't bitch about everything else in the world.

this week is bedlam in general. so far.

my friend quyen is moving to michigan next week. my friend laura is moving to oregon the week after that. there are so many changes in the air.

redemption! we got tickets to see eddie izzard's "work in progress" for this sunday. i'm already practicing things i can say to avoid a repeat of the last time. true, i may sound less like an idiot if more fully prepared, but i'll always cherish what has now come to be known as the "eddie izzard incident" in my life. maybe i should just go with it and dork out this time as well. here's to promising a full report to you after the show...

i feel for both milana and bonnie. it's hard to lose a cat. no, you are not crazy for crying and whimpering and caring so much about the loss of a loved one that has been such a big part of the family. just because it's a cat (or dog or whatever happens to anyone out there) doesn't make it hurt any less.


what derek won't admit:
he likes ben stiller... and brussel sprouts

3 comments:

lizgwiz said...

Just between you and me...I kind of like Ben Stiller, too. I know, I know! And I LOVE brussel sprouts. Maybe Derek and I were separated at birth. Hee.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... if I'm not mistaken, it sounds like you've got one foot out the door... Hey, we've all moved around in search of that perfect place. It's no crime that it ain't Seattle for you guys. But to be perfectly fair, I think it has much LESS to do with the fact that it's Seattle and much MORE to do with the fact of location. Face it, you live in an urban center of a city the size of Seattle and certain things are inevitable ... crime, bums, junkies ...But it's the exact same in every other urban center of a big city. You wouldn't have had the same Seattle experience if you'd chosen to live in Ballard or Magnolia or Seward Park ( Seattle neighborhoods ) . Urban centers are always a bit rough around the edges. The benefit is the rich, diverse character of living with a lot of stuff nearby. The downside is what you may encounter getting there ...
Downtown Portland is the same. I'm sure ( from what I've read ) downtown Tulsa is also the same.
We'll miss you if you leave, but I'm glad we got to be a pit-stop on your journey ...

georgeious said...

liz - i also love brussel sprouts and ben stiller, but i'm proud of it and don't hide it in shame like derek.

bonnie - you make a point about urban centers, but i also agree that maybe it's that seattle might not be the place for us. but hey, we're such nomads now that we can do anything! :) and you know that you're always a big reason to come visit.