12 April 2010

words i like today - chapter three

in an effort to keep up on my five minutes per day of mental exercise, i offer you yet another brief glimpse into the things i think about in the middle of the night. this list includes words that are fun to say, words that make me contemplate their meanings, and new words i either make up or learn along the way. as always, it will also have words that sound like what they really are, which is my favorite type of word in general.

  • stubborn - this makes me crinkle up my face when i say it, leading me to the belief that it's very emotionally charged in some sense.
  • cup - because that's what is holding my coffee
  • calculator - am i going on a hard sound hullabaloo this week? i've always liked words that force me to use the muscles in my face to say them. it makes me feel more engaged when i'm speaking out loud.
  • hagiography - a biography idealizing its subject. this is a new word i learned just yesterday and i'm still trying to "pronounciate" it right.
  • illuminating - more fun to say inside your head than with your face. maybe. let's all try it together, shall we? ill-looooooo-min-ayyyting. hmmm, i think the delight factor might depend on when i took my medication on that particular day.
  • wabaaaaaaam! - sound effects are always fun for me. being that i have a number of brothers, i grew up learning how to speak in sounds effects as a way of really getting my point across to someone. onomatopoeic speaking is even more useful that precise vocabulary sometimes. and yes, i did have to look up that word to make sure it was correct, so don't feel so dumb.
  • woof - also its accompanying noise, ruff. or any animal sound, really.
  • jello - can you think about jello without going right to the word wiggle? and then you gotta head over to jiggle to make it complete. and then you shake your booty in a great jello impersonation just for emphasis. again, it gets you engaged in what you're saying. wow, i seem to have a thing for talking in ways that get my whole body moving lately.

my perpetual need for puns is always lurking, so anytime i can work these into a conversation in some ridiculous way is an extra treat. whenever i can't, i simply hum the first part of elton john's "your song" with punny inserted for funny. it's a way to get my mind jumping without the whap whap whap noise taking over. send me your favorite puns and i promise to laugh until i snort.


more school updates:
today i have a computer clep test. this whole proficiency thing the state requires is a complete racket. anyone who tells you that education isn't a business just like any other industry is only fooling themselves. the learning part is fine... the finishing part is costly.

2 comments:

derek said...

jello = j.lo - with a bit of wiggle in for good measure

Unknown said...

yes, of course i call her jello... and she jiggles in all the right places too. not as hot as salma hayek, but pretty close.