15 April 2010

bon jovi took my parking space

since i've had very little sleep this week, this almost feels like drunken posting. see, i was supposed to be studying and finishing more schoolwork, and i spent the other night just staring and doing more editing until finally wandering off for a nap at about 6am. but that's another story. or maybe it's the really short and boring story i just told in one sentence. in any case, my meds are just now kicking in and i feel kinda woozy today overall. you lost yet? me too.

on tuesday we had tickets for rioult, but derek didn't feel like going so i took miss gwyn (who has some regal quality that makes me call her that, as opposed to simply saying gwyn) instead and we had a fabulous time. my nervy side has been inadvertently activated this week, so i asked the producer to give me a discount on next year's season tickets, or else i would think about just canceling the order and do the student walk-up fee. no idea what came over me there, because i really don't mind paying for tickets to see stuff when i can afford it. in the end he wanted to give me a reduced rate on the season tickets because i am a repeat customer. hey, what can i say? sometimes all you have to do is ask. i was thrilled and told others to buy the damn tickets so that he keeps on bringing cool stuff to town. you see, there is such a thing as positive word of mouth for business. i'm one of those people that will not only tell ten people when i get pissed off at a company, but also blab to high heaven when they do something awesome.

that was also the night of the bon jovi show here, so parking was definitely interesting. thank goodness the cops around here have better things to do on most evenings that hand out parking tickets downtown to those of us with tiny cars that fit into illegal spaces. if it inches forward just right and nobody else around me leaves their car in a jacked up fashion, the bug can get past just about anything and still leave a clear path to the fire hydrant. if there's a blaze and my car gets scratched... well then, i only got what i deserved for squeezing in there when it wasn't really supposed to be a parking space. that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

this morning someone called me "the person with ideas" while we were at coffee together. i think i like that description. it made me feel smart and creative after a long week of wondering if i was merely inspired but clueless.

we've gone through two auditions with the kids this week. just so you know, my little directors are very professional. they were all nervous as hell, but organized enough to overcome their jitters. the casting session was absolutely fucking hilarious! any time you hold mass auditions and have to split up so many actors between five directors, it's going to be complete chaos in the negotiation process. me and frank just wandered around trying to be the voice of reason for them when it got a bit heated. surprisingly enough, it only took about an hour to sort this person to that director, make calls to get a few more people in for extra roles, and get all the paperwork back into a pile. if my prediction is correct, every week is going to be some exciting chunk of this production. next we move on to scheduling and preliminary readings on each play. if you would have told me a few years ago that i could work this well with kids and still keep them on track, i may have laughed in your face. not so much because i didn't like them, but rather on an intimidation factor. they used to scare the crap outta me in groups. now it's beginning to get more comfortable. still not sure what that says about me, but listening to them is an easy way to keep up on the latest pop culture.

now that graduation is getting close enough to taste, there is some small hope that my professors are just sick enough of dealing with me and all my surliness that it's going to be easy to pass those last few credits. if they're super annoyed with all of my bitching, they'll wanna just get it over with, too. it's never quite clear if the things they call me - different, interesting, paradoxical, spunky - are a compliment or an insult. maybe they're those left-handed compliments. being left-handed, that term in itself is a sort of left-handed compliment. is that as hilarious as i think it is right now or do i just really need to get more sleep?



ironic thought of the week:
one of my neighbors owns an official indy pace car. and yet, i've never seen that car in motion. yes, these are the things i think about in the middle of the night.

2 comments:

vee said...

Bon Jovi came to my office

Unknown said...

of course he did. what was i thinking? :)