02 April 2012

script frenzy amateur

so, as i was growing up, i remember very clearly having an incident with my algebra teacher.  it was a classic teenage moment in which she explained to me that i would need algebra forever.  me, being the salty little spark plug that i am, shot back to her that i would be doing something creative with my life; algebra wouldn't be the thing that would get me where i wanted to be.  she scoffed haughtily, i stopped listening to pretty much anything she said, we agreed to disagree.

have i used algebra since then?  if you can count making calculations about what sort of discounts i can try to get based on sale pricing, nonprofit memberships, and the like - i guess i use just enough of it to count as algebra.  really, geometry was always more my thing.  math isn't evil, it's just misunderstood because kids get tortured for no reason with it.  have i used my creative skills as an adult?  hell yes.  in that respect, my algebra teacher can suck it.

hopefully i can give my creative muscle a decent workout for script frenzy month in april.  i have to write at least 100 pages of scripted material over the course of 30 days.  that's it.  it's that simple.

in declaring this to the world (i.e. a few people who might read this or my other posts) it makes me more motivated to accomplish my goal.  it's something i've always wanted to try anyway, seeing how i do at writing scripts.  as i told one person, during nanowrimo i have tried on a few occasions to work on a novel, only to end up with a few 10 page novellas.... okay, so they were short stories.  okay, so they were only a few pages of gobbledegook that didn't even amount to a coherent story.  all this to say, i'll try a different format and see what happens this time.  hey, if i end up with at least one decent 10 minute play, the whole thing will be aces for me.


what i did this weekend:
got bitchy, went to the ballet, ate food

No comments: