10 February 2010

random side notes - chapter twenty four

what ever happened to my airhorn? it must have been lost in one of the moves we made. next time i direct, it would be really funny to use one from time to time. maybe not so useful on adults, but the kids would surely respond. at least i still have my whistle and my silver pointer... and all of my jaunty scarves, which give me that je ne sais quoi thing.

with the impending start of my secular lent, i'm considering what to do this year. when i approached derek about making the ultimate sacrifice, he was aghast. "you're going to give up meat this year?" he asked. ouch, no way. "cheese?!?" hell to the nope. he squinted a bit and said, "i'm afraid to even ask, and i don't think i wanna know." since we've gone virtually soda-free at the house since derek's moratorium on mountain dew, i was thinking of maybe kicking my dr. pepper habit, or maybe even soda altogether. yikes, i'm a pepper, so just the thought of it hurts. any better ideas out there?

i'm supposed to be studying for a test right now. i don't feel like studying, but i do ponder if my brain is turning to mush for no apparent reason.

last weekend was the first time i'd been in an improv show in years. well, sort of. i mean, i've hosted a few shows for the kids, but as far as being an actor and playing all the scenes, this was kind of like my comeback. the feedback was pretty spiffy overall, and i was as pleased as i could be, considering how rusty i felt during the show. that seems nutty, since i play the games all the time with people, but having an audience there really is different for me. even after all this time, i still get the willies about being out there in front of people.

on that topic, i feel like a doltish lump of clay as of late. it isn't a case of being uninspired, but more one of feeling uncreative. that mantra of reduce, reuse, recycle wasn't supposed to apply to creativity, was it? my epiphanetic state is in limbo, just waiting for me to catch up with it. as much as i've tried to develop a sense of patience, this type of frustration is like chasing a greased pig through a mud puddle.

i like burritos. like, a whole lot.

woohoo! looks like i got a free ticket to the ballet this weekend. it pays to know the right people sometimes, especially when those right people are in the show. gwyn was nice enough to give me one of her comp tickets so i can see her and megan prancing around like goofballs.

my latest goal is fairly silly. by the end of the year i would like to do a one-armed pushup. okay, so prolly way before that. (i keep forgetting it's only february right now.) i've been getting my arms in better shape and can sustain the up position for a while right now, but the down and then back up again part is still waiting to happen. well, the down part is okay, but getting back up on just the one arm? let's just agree to disagree on the amount of gravity lurking in my house when i make the attempt. like i said, it's one of those things that is so random that it doesn't even make sense, and yet, it entertains me enough to keep me interested.

mr. bubbas is feeling needy today. he's right next to me on the desk, miraculously avoiding the keyboard for the first time all week. he must be tired of surfin the net and sending out emails with his butt. instead, bubba keeps suggesting with pitiful looks that he's been truly neglected and needs more love. never mind that i've set aside a spot on the desk specifically for the cats to splay. he's decided that if he can't lay on the keyboard, he should just pout on the corner until i give in and give him snackies as a peace offering. don't tell him this, but i'm pretty sure it's going to work. this must be why derek is usually in charge of the feedings.


my moment of quoi:
when i got home, derek was watching manly gun tv. QUOI?!?

4 comments:

lizgwiz said...

I have given up on push-ups and chin-ups in this lifetime. It doesn't matter how fit I get, I just can't do 'em. Neither can my mother. We figure it's some weird genetic failure.

Verification word du jour: weepedle. Squee!

Unknown said...

hey, there is no way in hell that i can do a chin-up, so don't feel alone on that. that stupid flexed arm hang thing back in school was always one of the most humiliating moments of the year for me. and trust me, i had many moments to choose from each year.

can't wait to see your show!

vee said...

I would usually fake a cramp to avoid finishing any sort of PE thing..not terribly original but oh well. Speaking of guns...

Unknown said...

vee, did you two get a new gun? if it stops snowing down there, we should drive down to go shooting with you. contrary to popular belief, i think shooting guns is a blast. errr, no pun intended.